Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Maureen and the African Tailor

Have you ever tried to explain the color orange to a blind man? Who doesn't speak your language. No? Then I don't recommend trying to explain what patchwork is, let alone an entire quilt to a tailor who would much rather make you something more suitable. Like a dress.

I explained the process to one tailor, complete with diagrams and measurements. I considered it a test run, because I didn't bring the fabric (oh such beautiful fabrics to be found here in Malawi!). We made an appointment for me to return once he understood the concept. When I returned with the fabric, he was gone. Shop closed, no one knew what had happed to him gone.

The next day I moved to a new town and was bound and determined to get this quilt done. Why I had fixated on the idea, other than the fact that I am buying fabric uncontrollably and making a quilt seemed to justify my many purchases, I have no idea. Round 2 of quilt explanation was conducted with my trusted driver, Clifford. At one point he looked at me in frustration for clarification in how he might better explain the idea. Of course he had been speaking in Chichewa and I really had no idea where he had lost the thread so to speak, but finally a light bulb went off with the tailor. I left the fabric and we were on our merry way.

I stopped by the next day to assess progress. He had understood! Many stripes were sewn together and the quilt was well underway! I returned the next day to a smiling tailor who proudly announced that he was finished. He handed me the quilt and waited for his money. As I unfolded it, I realized that something was dreadfully wrong. My quilt was for a giant--a tall skinny one! Instead of making the quilt eight squares by nine squares (the easiest part of the concept!), my quilt was 10 squares by five squares!!!

Another explanation session ensued. This one slightly more heated on both sides. Finally, he agreed that I should come back Monday. I have failed to mention that the quilt is absolutely gorgeous. I need to preface my next statement with this fact. Even though I made absolutely no mention of the American tradition of including minor imperfections in the quilt, my tailor embraced this notion from the start! Yes, the quilt is definitely not as ordered, but judge for yourself if I did indeed do the right thing.

1 comment:

  1. If the quilt is the one in your previous post, it is absolutely gorgeous. I take it that you know how to make a quilt because I wouldn't be able to explain in English.

    ReplyDelete