Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I can’t stop myself!






They see me coming across the crowd and call me, teasing me with their new wares. I keep trying not to go there, but the call of Lajpat Nagar market is too strong. I don’t go often. Really. I’ve limited my visits to once a week. Ok, twice, but only if I really need a market fix…and a new scarf…or some pretty fabric, for my sister! Not for me. And I absolutely cannot resist the samosas from heaven. I live dangerously (mom, don’t read this). When the samosa man eyes me dubiously and asks ‘Do you want sauce?’ Do I want sauce?!?! How could I live without the sublimely sweet and tangy tamarind sauce slopped down on the foil lined plate holding deep fried samosa goodness? As long as I’ve committed myself to tamarind, it’s just a matter of a quick nod of the head and a new spoon dips quickly into and out of a hidden container and a bright green mixture of ground herbs and spicy peppers lands smoothly next to the dark brown spot of tamarind and the light brown of samosa all arranged on a background of fine silver. An irresistible meal savored in the company of many happy Indians squeezed in and around the motorcycles parked in the small tight spaces located between the street vendors located just next to the curb on the margins of the market.

1 comment: