Thursday, November 4, 2010

Can we talk Diwali?






I am just in time for Diwali—the Festival of Lights and the most important holiday in Hindu India!! Yes, I am mighty excited about that. Diwali has been described to me as the Christmas of India and I believe it. All of the houses and trees (and pretty much anything that IS nailed down) is covered with Christmas lights. It is GORGEOUS and entirely over the top, and that’s saying something in highly decorative India! It is pretty fantastic to wander around in the evening and see all of the decorated houses. All of this brightness got me to thinking about the limits of electricity and particularly the limits of electricity in India. Where does it come from? How is it distributed? (I know, I know, I should be thinking more festive thoughts but I can’t help myself! I’ll have all day tomorrow to think those thoughts as I will not be working!)

Since the beginning of my stay here, I have been entranced by the electric wiring and power systems that appear in the most unusual places. Consider if you will the ability of these structures to illuminate and power the lives of well over one billion Indians. Now consider the additional energy requirements of the Festival of Lights that create power demands on steroids. I am waiting for Delhi to erupt into a brilliant ball of fire. That will probably happen tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Blog back! Yay! I just got back from Nepal and was also struck by the amazing electrical nests all around me, especially in Kathmandu. Monkeys climbing the wires and all manner of wildlife using the wires to cross streets -- rat trains, monkeys, birds. Miss you, Trish

    ReplyDelete