Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The mosque across the street



The apartment where I’ve been staying is so full of people right now, that we had to borrow a room in another apartment. I was torn as to whether I should go or not (for some reason I was offered the honor of leaving!?!), but finally opted for a snore-free zone. Good move! When I got here I was delighted to discover that the view from my terrace overlooks the crumbling mosque that I had only seen once before, when in a completely sleep deprived haze after 20 hours of travel, 4 hours of sleep and a full day of work I realized that I would never be able to successfully navigate the labyrinth that I now call home and I took a rickshaw. Ok, how was I to know that the rickshaw driver was as clueless as me. We wandered for a considerable period of time and passed this wonderful monstrosity of a mosque, which I have not seen since!

The mosque appears to be an organic growth as it struggles to survive the greenery that threatens to enshroud it. It’s hard to tell if it is a working mosque, mainly because there is no sound system. In my experience, even the poorest and most remote mosque has a quadraphonic sound system to summon the faithful to prayer five times a day. However the main gate is open and the signage is new. One can only ponder the secrets of the mosque across the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment